Key Risks for Financial Institutions and Asset Managers in 2017
2016 was a year of shock and uncertainty, peppered with unprecedented political and economic events, like Brexit and the Trump election.
Will next year be a volatile year? Please join our panel of industry leaders from Simmons & Simmons and Control Risks, as they look ahead to 2017 and identify the key risks facing Financial Institutions, Asset Managers and Investment Funds. We will also explore the most effective mitigation strategies available and delve into the following topics:
- RegTech: a solution? – too big to fail? RegTech promises scalable solutions - can it really deliver?
- What the hack – unexpected cyberattacks from regulators and hackers – recent studies have shown that Asia is ill-equipped to deal with cyberattacks. What do you need to know and what will regulators do next?
- Everyone a Board – as the SFC focuses enforcement resources on poor corporate governance in Hong Kong, it is not only directors in the line of fire. If the Board is not doing its job, will the responsibility fall on others?
- Money Trumps Regulations – what to expect from the President-elect. Donald Trump has denounced regulation such as the Dodd-Frank Act. Will the cost of compliance be worth nothing?
- Mis-selling misunderstood – the difference between ‘advice’ and ‘suitability’. The change to T&Cs mandated by the SFC Code of Conduct are to be implemented by July 2017. Is there still time to re-open the debate?
To launch this symposium, we recently hosted a successful media briefing for select journalists from prominent local and international publications.
"Simmons and Simmons suggested, some financial institutions are 'sitting ducks' for cyberattacks and have already come under increased scrutiny from regulators. Cyber-raids on banks in APAC this year have been of 'unprecedented size and sophistication' the firm's Melissa Chim said". - Regulation Asia
"Financial institutions including private banks, face a number of risks when they 'plug and play' regtech solutions, caution law firm Simmons & Simmons". - Asian Private Banker
Date and Time
Wednesday 11 January 2017
08:30 Discussion commences
10:00 Session ends