View from Brussels - Article 50 is triggered: what’s next?
The UK has served notice to leave the European Union under Article 50. Our timeline outlines what happens next.
29 March 2017
The UK has, on 29 March 2017, served notice under Article 50.
The timeline for what happens next in Brussels is as follows:
- 31 March 2017 - within 48 hours after receipt of the Article 50 notice, submission of draft guidelines by President Tusk to the European Council (the deadline was set by President Tusk). The guidelines, to be adopted by the European Council (EU27), will define the framework for the Article 50 negotiations and will also set out the overall positions and principles that the EU27 will pursue throughout the negotiation.
- 29 April 2017 - meeting of the European Council (EU27). The draft guidelines are to be adopted at this meeting.
- May/June 2017 - the European Commission and the Council prepare detailed negotiating directives and institutional arrangements.
- June/July 2017 - the General Affairs Council adopts (i) a decision authorizing the opening of the negotiations; (ii) negotiating directives on the substance; (iii) detailed arrangements on the relationship between the various EU institutions; and (iv) a decision nominating the European Commission as the Union negotiator.
- July 2017 - start of formal negotiations between the UK and the European Commission, represented by chief negotiator Michel Barnier and acting under the supervision of the European Council and the Council.
- October/November 2018 - target for a Brexit deal and start of the ratification process on the UK side and the approval process at EU level.
- 29 March 2019 - ultimate date for the entry into force of the Brexit agreement.
Keep up to date on our Brexit blog page
This document (and any information accessed through links in this document) is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Professional legal advice should be obtained before taking or refraining from any action as a result of the contents of this document.